Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Weekly Summary: 7/26-8/1

7-26-2010
Monday:
Rest: 0 miles. Resting my knee. No need to push things too far with Leadville so close.

7-27-2010
Tuesday:
Rest: 0 miles. Resting my knee

7-28-2010
Wednesday:
AM: 5.1 miles (45:45) Starting to get a cold so I took it easy.

7-29-2010
Thursday:
AM: 9.8 miles (1:23:12) 600' vertical Despite the cold I actually felt pretty good this morning.

7-30-2010
Friday:
Rest: 0 miles Cold starting to get worse slowly so I decided to rest.

7-31-2010
Saturday:
Rest: 0 miles Still not feeling the best.


8-1-2010
Sunday:
AM: 9.8 miles (1:29:47) 600' vertical Cold still lingering. Didn't really have much energy during this run. The last 3 miles my chest/ribs started cramping which basically forced me into the "ultra shuffle" good practice I guess.
--------------------
Totals:
Miles: 24.7
Time: 3h 39min
Vertical: 1 200'

Bike Totals:
Miles: 46.7
Time: 3h 12min

Well this week I was forced to rest for two reasons: knee acting up again and a cold. This was really a much needed rest week as looking back on my log I really haven't cut back my mileage since June 14...maybe June 28. Anyways went to see Dr. Rogers on Mon. (Aug 2). I'll probably continue to take it easy for a few more days to get the knee back on track. In his words its better to be 10% undertrained than 1% overtrained. I definitely agree with this statement because if my knee starts acting up at mile 25 it'll make for a much slower race than if I was a little more in shape. My taper might be flipped a bit then. I may end up running a few more miles next week than I had originally planned. I just hope I'm not taking it too easy. I think I've got a good backlog of miles that I should be able to carry into the race.

I thought July was going to be a bit bigger, but since I basically didn't run this week it was slightly lower than anticipated. However, the ~54 hours of running plus around 14 hours of biking is good. Also, I am pleased with the 48 000' of vertical which will hopefully pay dividends on Hope Pass and Sugarloaf late in the race.

July Totals:
Miles: 325.15
Time: 53h 56min
Vertical: 48 050'

July Biking Totals:
Miles: 254.1
Time: 14h 25min

2 comments:

J.P. Patrick said...

You won't gain any fitness next week trying to make up for an "off" week! Go in well rested. Much bigger dividends!

mtnrunner2 said...

I'm not much of a racer, but I can tell you what works for me regarding the knee pain. Take it for what it's worth.

I take the pain as a sign that something is too tight, which means: 1) stretching, and 2) massage.

By stretching I mean right after the run, and for my knee, it's always pulling my foot up to my rear and then moving my knee back until my quads have no tension left.

By massage I'm usually DIY with one of these: http://tinyurl.com/2uhv99o (whatever brand you find around) and just roll whatever part of the leg needs it. Love the roller. Great on the back too.

I'm totally sold on pressure massage, which also works on tissue under the knee cap. Use your thumbs to push the kneecap aside just enough to be press down on whatever's sore and apply pressure until it's no longer sore. Just move around to the sore spots, apply pressure for 30 seconds or whatever, then move on to another spot.

Good luck at LT100.